|invitations: Academy 2011 opening + (e)merge art fair panel and kick-off party|
||Conner Contemporary Art is pleased to announce ACADEMY 2011, our 11th annual invitational survey of outstanding work by MFA/BFA students in the Washington/Baltimore area.|
Exhibition founder and curator, Jamie Smith, Ph.D. invited the following artists to participate:
• Artists: Sarah Allison, Forest Allread, Emily Biondo, Woojin Chang, Caroline Covington, Michael Dotson, Dan Gioia, Ginny Huo, Adam Junior, Libby Landauer, Linling Lu, Jon Malis, Jonathan Monaghan, Elle Perez, Melissa Prentki, Camilo Sanin, Samuel Scharf, Sierra Suris, Virginia Wagner.
• Representing institutions: American University, Corcoran College of Art and Design, George Washington University, Maryland Institute College of Art, and University of Maryland.
Additionally, we are thrilled to announce the following initiatives in conjunction with the Academy 2011 exhibition:
• (e)merge art fair - panel discussion and party
Saturday, July 9th - panel @ 5pm; party 6 to 8pm.
Conner Contemporary Art and (e)merge art fair will host a panel discussion : Collecting and Emerging Art. Panelists include: Robert Shapiro, collector, Henry Thaggert, collector, Melissa Ichiuji, artist, Alberto Gaitan, artist,Victoria Reis, Director, Transformer Gallery. Moderated by Helen Allen, co-director (e)merge art fair.
(e)merge panel discussion begins at 5pm; directly followed by (e)merge art fair party and Academy 2011 opening. Hang out with your community, with DJ, food and drink.
(e)merge is generously sponsored by Marvin Restaurant and Pink Line Project.
• (e)merge prize - winner announced Saturday, July 9th during the opening.
(e)merge art fair will award one artist exhibition space in the (e)merge art fair, September 22-25, 2011 at the Capitol Skyline Hotel, Washington, DC.
Jurors include: Dr. Fred Ognibene, Veronica Jackson and Philippa Hughes.
• PULSE Presents Award - winner announced Saturday, July 9th during the opening.
PULSE Contemporary Art Fair will award one ACADEMY 2011 exhibiting artist an exhibition space at PULSE Miami 2011. The winner will be selected by PULSE Director Cornell DeWitt.
PULSE is committed to creativity and innovation which furthers the influence of contemporary art in all corners of society. PULSE Presents is a collaboration between PULSE Contemporary Art Fair and organizations, institutions, artists and individuals dedicated to the visual arts and contemporary culture.
We also are pleased to welcome "Untitled," an MFA invitational exhibition organized and curated by University of Virginia graduate students Michael Maizels and Brittany Strupp, Hosted by Industry Gallery, the opening is concurrent with ACADEMY 2011 Saturday, July 9, 6-8pm.