The Daimler Collection was started in 1977 and currently includes about 1000 works by German and international artists. The collection focuses on abstract and geometrical pictorial concepts, from which it derives its distinctive character. |
The starting-point is fundamental tendencies in 20th century Modernism in south-west Germany, and this basic direction has been expanded in the 90s by adding exemplary works by European and American artists.
One future policy will be to acquire a representative selection of photography and media art. A changing selection from the collection is accessible to DaimlerChrysler employees and the public at the company´s various locations. As well as this, the Daimler Collection started as early as the 80s to acquire a high-calibre ensemble of sculpture by contemporary artists, and this is a striking feature of the company´s Stuttgart, Sindelfingen, Ulm and Berlin premises.
The works of the Daimler Collection are permanently exhibited at the corporation´s different locations (the large sculptures and changing works compositions in Stuttgart-Möhringen are showed to groups of staff and external visitors by appointment). Smaller sets of works are exhibited in company-owned sales and service outlets and in production plants.
The DaimlerChrysler Collection moved into its exhibition galleries in Haus Huth in Potsdamer Platz in October 1999. Approximately 600 sq m are available for the presentations, which take place about four times a year. Current new acquisitions are on show in Daimler Contemporary - this is the name of the loft-like exhibition gallery - and the various key features of the collection are introduced, complemented by smaller shows of work by individual artists, and special exhibitions.
Foundation year: 1977